The adductor muscles of the legs are in the inner part of the thighs. They attach from the pelvis to the inner thigh bone (femur) and knee. As they are named, they adduct, or bring the leg toward the midline. Short adductors include the adductor longus, adductor brevis, and the pectineus muscles, while the long adductors include the adductor magnus and gracilis muscles.  Each adductor group has its own unique stretch.

The short adductors attach from the pubic bone to the inner thigh. A great stretch for these muscles is called the frog stretch, which I demonstrate in the video below.  There are three levels of this stretch, each one giving a little extra length to the short adductors.

Although some people have weak adductors, which require strengthening, many people get tight adductors instead. If your adductors are tight, try the frog stretch; and if you are unsure, try the frog stretch as well–it will let you know if you have tight adductors. Have fun.

35 Responses to Frog Stretch For Inner Thigh Pain Relief

1. Anonymous says:

Really usefull as it showed me and gave me a clear insight into were I may be experinecing the pain – I have had very painful cramps on my inner thigh ( left Leg) and it may be the short adductors – I am not sure why – possible dehydration ( after drinking wine ) but has only appeared in past 6 months – will use gentle excersise as you have shown and see what progresss I can make – Many thanks – Michael(Ireland)

• Deija says:

I have been experiencing the same thing…First time was about 6 months ago and now the cramping is more frequently. Sudden moves to raising my leg..It’s annoying and sometimes I can’t walk at all.i just have to let it pass..What is the reasoning..I drink a ton of water and eat bananas daily so it’s definitely not dehydration for me..

2. Thank you, Michael–cramps can come about for a number of reasons. Check the ‘Cramps’ post below, and definitely do light stretching, warm up before exercising (even wine-marathon-ing ;) Thank you for reading and commenting: Cramps

3. Anonymous says:

Hi there i have done martial arts on and off for the past 7 years and free running.
    And i am constantly getting this injury over and over again in my left legg.
    It’s really painful but only when i am doing high kicks or round house kicks wich i do within my known limits of my flexibility.
    But this injury is really thrustrating to say the least as it stops my progress literally all together.
    I actualy just pulled the muscle again yesterday in my free running gym and i thought i would do some research and came across this post here.
    And not did that frogg stretch feel great it has taken away the pain almost completely with a 2 minute stretch.
    And now when i do my other stretchs i don’t get extreme pain that makes me give up.
    So i might even be able to progress now finally after 5 years of getting nowere. Thanks kind regards George :)

4. Lacie says:

You mentioned that you would post a separate video for the long adductors, but I can’t find it on your website. Could you please direct me to the video you made for those stretches? Thank you.

5. Tez says:

Hi Dr Campos,
    When I’m performing the frog stretch I don’t feel any stretch in my adductors. I feel the stretch in some deep muscle around my hips, and it’s quite an uncomfortable feeling. What muscle am I actually stretching and should I discontinue performing this stretch? I’m trying to stretch for martial arts and to get a higher kick.

6. Gordon says:

Sat Nam
    I do Kundalini Yoga stretching is my life.
    Your information is awesome awesome.
    Thanks Dr. Campos

7. steve says:

Had a question..last night I got a cramp in my inner thigh for thew first time that I can remember, tried to walk it out for a minute then started sweating, feeling sick and feeling faint then just passed out for a second and hit the floor, got up made it a few more steps towards the bedroom cramp was still going on and then I passed out again in the hallway then got up and made it to the bed felt like I was dying and then I noticed I sprained my ankle really bad…question is, why?…I get foot and leg cramps sometimes during sleep and stand up on them and they go away..this was the first time for the inner left thigh cramp….never passed out over any cramp before.
    can you list any remedies please?
    Thanks Steve

8. Kathy says:

Last night I was awaken twice with an inner thigh cramp. Started to sweat and feel sick. I almost passed out but luckily was able to get a cold wet washcloth quickly with the help of my roommate. I take Potassium nightly before bed. What else do you recommend? When I get this cramp (which I get several times a year), it is in my inner thigh and only occurs while asleep where you have referred to as the long adductor. Should I be doing the long adductor stretch?
    Today the area is very sore.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks….Kathy

• Dr. Nick Campos Dr. Nick Campos says:

Ok I saw the other comment about passing out. You need to see a doctor ASAP. That’s my only advice.

• chris says:

I have inner thigh cramps at night and they are excruciating. I have inflamed facet joints at L4/5 and L5/S1 and the sensory nerves have been ablated. My specialist says its a nerve firing off. It certainly isn’t diet related as I drink a litre of water at night and take calcium and Magnesium and Potassium supplements. The cramps can least 10 -20 minutes at times and last week I had 1 night and 6 cramps in the left inner thigh and unusually, I in the right inner thigh in the space of 8 hours. Can you tell me how to get the cramp to stop – the muscle is fairly hard and needs a hot wheat bag on it for 10 mins. I am going on holiday where I won’t have access to a microwave, so if I can’t stop it some other way, I am in for a terrible time

9. Chris Rochester says:

Yes I’ve had this problem for quite a number of years. And always after golf games or long vigorous walks. My thought is that, yes possibly, in part be an electrolyte problem. Could additionally be nerve clamping/external pressure from the repetition in-and-around my hip/lower back. Every time it happens I also have much stiffness in that area from the sport/exercise.
    Finally I found my solution. Stand up, and do slow down intentional breathing. When a spasm is about to start, exert slow & big expiration. Do this about 6-7 times to keep spasm at bay. It then seems to settle. Can additionally slowly unfold your arms downwards during an expiration to gain more mental control. Yes its true. And stay standing. You do need to believe it will fix the problem. When I started doing this…I wasn’t sure, and it started to re-occur. Now after several years I am the boss. yes ‘boss’ lol. Its almost a battle of will between your mind/deep breathing versus each spasm. Once somewhat under control I don’t sit down for a while. Just remain standing with intentional/slow breathing. The first spasm (yes still get them) is now the only one.
    It is truly one of the most scary ‘pains’ I’ve ever had. I truly hope this helps. Chris Rochester, Australia

10. Ash says:

Very happy to have found this site! Thanks. I thought my adductor cramps were unique to me (not sure why I thought that!) so it is great to read about others experiences and remedies. The cramping pain can be pretty intense at times and seems to be set off by different circumstances. I am just getting past an intense event that started around 2am. Went to use the bathroom and as I got out of bed my left adductor so went off. First time in a while that I have had such an episode and while the muscle continues to spasm, the intense cramping has subsided. Will be trying your stretches! Thanks

11. Em says:

This makes interesting reading, thanks all. I run and cycle, training most days. I’m in my late 40′s and have just started waking perhaps once a week to cramp in the inner left thigh. I notice a few people have said it occurs in the left thigh. I am always on my right side when the cramp starts. I wonder if position might effect it, perhaps restricted blood flow? I’ll try the stretching. Thank you.

12. Joe says:

My inter thigh on the right side is where I experience some intense muscle cramps . I’m sure it has to be related to when I play tennis for a couple of hours and I drop about two pounds from sweating.
    I drink water and Gatorade after each game, but I think I lose more water than I take in.
    I will try the stretching exercises and see if that helps and please let me know if there some preventive measures I can take to prevent the awful inter thigh cramps.

13. Rita says:

Both inner thighs are so tight I can’t even get my legs spread that far (like the video) in the frog stretch. I have RA in my left hip and even sitting crossed leg is impossible. Sometimes putting my socks and shoes on are even an issue. If I start the frog stretch today, if over time will the stretch get easier and wider?

14. Nancy says:

I am 80 years old…had my 1st inner left thigh cramp,(very painful…walked it off finally) but cannot do the frog stretch because of arthritic knees. Any other exercise where one does not have to kneel down? Thank you.

15. Hilary says:

Like Nancy I have arthritis in my left knee and can’t get down to do the frog exercise so would appreciate advice on another way to stretch my inside left thigh muscle. I had my first inner thigh cramp tonight and seriously thought I might die. I also went sweaty and was about to be sick when it faded away. Terrified. Please help.

16. Duane Ruff says:

I am 56 years old. On the inside of my right upper thigh I get crippling cramps that only vinegar gets rid of. I have tried every thing and the only thing that knocks them out quick is quinine that I can no longer get. It happens the most when I am using the tiller on my garden or when I work outside an get hot. I sweat very bad. I drink gatorade a lot. I also take yi guan jian that I got from my accupunturist. I have had relief for last 2 years from his treatments and these herbs. They now seem as though they are not working as good. Can you offer any help. thanks

17. Celeste Ligmal says:

I have been getting these severe inner thigh cramps for years and they are becoming much more frequent now. I can’t stand, lay down or sit up straight when it happens. I massage the muscle until it stops sometimes for 5-10 minutes. It usually happens when I am changing sleep positions. I am so afraid to use the inner thigh muscle for fear of getting another cramp. Most doctors don’t have a clue as to what causes these cramps. I walk almost every day, drink plenty of water, take potassium pills but nothing seems to help. I am wondering if the stain drug I take and the fact that I have disk problems in my lower back could be causing the cramps. Help!

• Dr. Nick Campos Dr. Nick Campos says:

You have to get it checked by doctor – impossible to diagnose you on the Web, no matter how much info you give. I am happy to help if you are in or can get to CA. Outside of that, there is not much more I can advise you on.

18. Libby Wong says:

I’m so grateful to you and Dr Goggle. I have been learning Salsa for the last six months , dancing 6 hours a week as I love it. I’m on the kind side of sixty and had my first awakening in the middle of the night with massive cramp pain in both inner thighs, I thought what new fresh hell is this and goggled painful inner thighs – viola – I picked your website and am eternally grateful to you for showing me this ailment is a “thing” and how to stretch to solve the pain. Your stretches gave me instant relief, Thankyou Dr Nick – I am bowing to you as I write this from all the way Down under ( Australia) .. must go I have to boogie

19. E says:

It worked!!!! I think I pulled mine and have been suffering for almost six weeks…and had to travel quite a bit in that time period, so I kept thinking it was the traveling that caused the pain. Nothing I did was working. Finally googled, fond your site, did the stretch and pain is gone :) !!!!!

20. Charles Murphy says:

For 2 months when first pulling a sock on I experience a terrible sickly pain over the top of my ankle and at the same time the outside of the calf is painful to touch. Once up and about they clear but the large inner thigh muscle is very very sore to touch. I thought at first the pain was closer to my groin. I am an active pensioner and play golf once a week. I have researched the internet and read your excellent website. Could I have injured the Pectineous muscle, and would your stretching exercises help. Thanks

• Dr. Nick Campos Dr. Nick Campos says:

I would get your back checked out by a chiropractor or orthopedist. What you describe sounds like it could potentially be more than a muscle injury.

21. Ginny says:

I am 57 and have severe scoliosis, deg. disc disease, lumbar stenosis, nerve root abutment, etc….. I have the most painful “inner thigh spasms” occassionally that are so very painful, I cannot describe!!! Unbelievable pain!!! I have not had any Dr. give me any answers to what is causing this. What is your opinion please?

22. sifter says:

I want to be able to do this, as well as Egoscue’s ‘Frog’ stretch on my back, but it seems to aggravate my SI joint, makes it hurt later in the day..

23. Yvonne says:

Right before falling asleep my left inner thigh started hurting. I’ve not done anything out of norm today I thought for the first 90 mins of dozing in and out of very little painful sleep it was a pulled muscle. Just like I’ve done yrs past on stationary bike. So as I would back then I thought of how when stiff and spleenectony morning from bike just hop back on and grin and bear it and it will be gone very shortly…..i have never been so wrong. Finally after three hrs I made myself pace the floor for about 10 mins when I googled symptoms and found your frog video. I have done this one for several mins and yes could feel the pain as I started but pain became less longer into stretch. I also watch other video for standing bending one knee rotating straight leg on heel. This one hurt quite a bit so I did the frog stretch again. 20 mins from first seeing your video and doing stretches pain is less….. Until I sit down or try to lay back down. It’s 315am is there anything else I can try in hopes to get a few hrs sleep in tonight.