Currently viewing the tag: "orthopedist"

Numbness and tingling can be an unnerving symptom no matter where it is felt.  When it happens in the arms and hands it can be especially disconcerting since we use our upper limbs constantly.  What causes numbness and tingling in the arms and hands?  Well the most oft-diagnosed condition is carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS), but I’m telling you it’s what we call a BS diagnosis.  Along with “tendonitis,” “sprain/strain,” and “arthritis,” carpal tunnel syndrome is just another way of saying, “I’m really busy; I don’t have time to investigate, and ultimately, I don’t know what you’ve got.”

Any doctors reading this?  If what I say pisses you off, it’s because IT”S TRUE!  Doctors not versed in musculoskeletal problems give the BS carpal tunnel syndrome diagnosis (it’s a guess), and quite often, they’re wrong.  It wouldn’t be such a big deal except that the treatment for CTS is the ol’ snip-snip.  Can’t reverse that, so it behooves one getting this diagnosis to seek a second opinion.  I’d try an orthopedist or sports chiropractor; these professionals focus on musculoskeletal complaints and thus have a good grip on what might be going on.

One thing that can cause numbness and tingling in the arms and hands is an ulnar nerve entrapment or impingement syndrome.  The ulnar nerve, which innervates or controls the last two fingers (ring to pinky), can become compressed by the forearm muscles.  When this happens forearm pain and numbness and/or tingling in the last two fingers can occur.

A good sports chiropractor can alleviate this discomfort and teach you stretches and exercises to prevent further problems.  I highly suggest getting any arm, forearm or hand numbness/tingling checked by a doctor, because any nerve irritation can lead to long-term damage.  While waiting to get in to see the doc, however, you can do some things at home on your own.  Watch the video below to get some tips on alleviating arm and hand numbness and tingling.

And please, before you get the ol’ snip-snip, go see a sports chiropractor (or an orthopedist) for a second opinion.

Copyright © 2013 Dr. Nick Campos - All Rights Reserved.